How to keep the kids busy during the school holidays
Epson shares a few fun activities you can add to your family’s holiday schedule to ensure everyone has a wonderful, fun-filled break – whether indoors or outside!
- Make your own customised gift wrap (or book covers) – Creating your own fun and festive decorative paper designs is not only a great pastime for the kids, but a great way to stock up on gift wrap for birthdays and other special occasions. Allow the kids some computer or tablet time, using a creative programme or app of your choice to design their very own customised paper wraps. The easy-to-use Epson L486 will do the job of printing these out in full and vibrant colour, and you can even send the file to the printer via Wi-Fi.
- Stage your own family photoshoot – Add more wonderful memories to your photo album collection with a DIY family photoshoot! You don’t need a top-of-the-range camera, and you really don’t need to be an expert – the built-in cameras on some of the latest smart phones and tablets are just as effective. Simply find a well-lit room in the house (or head outdoors if it’s a warm and sunny day) to set up your customised photo booth or background, and be sure to get the whole family to dress up and bring a fun prop along with them too! Use your Epson printer to print these awesome free prop printables to add a dash of fun and creativity to your family shoot.
- Have a scrapbooking party – Scrapbooking is a great way to keep those little hands busy with something productive, and the result is a beautiful keepsake of memories that you and the kids can hold on to for a lifetime. There are beautiful printables available for free online that you can print at home and get the kids to cut out and use to express their creativity. Use a large space, like the dining room table to set up a home scrapbooking station where they can get stuck into a day of cutting, pasting, colouring and drawing to their hearts’ content.
- Cook up a storm as a family – Cooking is a great way to get everyone involved in a group activity that requires team work to achieve the end result, not to mention the ideal way to spend time as a family. Let the kids decide on a menu for a special dinner and allow them to take the lead in preparing the meal (with your expert guidance, of course) You can even introduce a fun role-playing game at dinner time, where the kids dress up as waitrons, chefs and hosts at the ‘Family Restaurant’, and serve mum and dad for a change!
- Make vision boards – For children who haven’t performed as well in the mid-year exams as you expected, help keep them motivated for the remainder of the year, by working with them over the school holidays to create goal charts. Gather everyone around the living room floor, and get the kids to print and cut out pictures and words from the Internet, or from magazines, that represent specific things they would like to achieve for the remainder of the year at school, home and their social lives. Provide each child with a large canvas or board to stick their pictures on to and hang these up where they will be seen and can be reflected on every day. Creating a space for the kids to display what they really want in life will help make their goals a reality.
- Get them involved in giving back to the community – Make this break meaningful by getting them to participate in activities that give back to the community. Plan a quick visit to the crafts store to purchase any additional material you may need like manila paper and markers. Coupled with images that you can help your children to print such as sunflowers, your kids can put together creative pieces of art, cards and inspirational messages for the people they will meet. Over the weekend take a short trip to the charity home and let your children meet and interact with other children. This will be a wonderful opportunity for them to learn to appreciate what they have and will be a memorable bonding experience for your family.
Give your kids a ‘stay-cation’ to remember over the upcoming school holidays with these great tips and ideas from Epson. Epson’s innovative ink-tank technology eliminates the need for cartridges, minimising printer ink costs.
Visit www.epson.co.za for more information on Epson’s range of useful and innovative products.
Get It Magazine (Ballito/Umhlanga) – December 2017 – January 2018
WIN a nights stay at Teremok including a full body massage
Stand a chance to win a night’s stay for two people sharing (on a bed and breakfast basis) valued at R4050, as well as a full body massage per person at Teremok Spa valued at R590 each.
WIN a pair of Rogue or Rebound sandals from SAINT&SUMMER
We have a pair of Rogue and a pair of Rebound sandals from SAINT&SUMMER to giveaway…
WIN a 600W NutriBullet
We have a 600W NutriBullet to giveaway to one lucky reader…
WIN a Robertson Winery Summer Hamper
We have a Robertson Winery summer hamper worth R700 which will include a six-bottle case of Robertson Winery Lightly Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc 2016…
WIN a SVR Sun Secure hamper
We have a SVR Sun Secure hamper valued at R1530 to giveaway to one lucky reader…
WIN a signed copy of Dan Brown’s Origin
We’re giving away a signed copy of the book to one lucky reader!
Win a Daniel Wellington watch
We have a Daniel Wellington watch to give away to one lucky reader…
WIN a family combo on board the Holiday Express
We have a family combo valued at R800, which includes tickets for two adults and two kids under the age of 12, to be used before the end of January 2018.
Travel in Lipault style!
WIN a LINDT HELLO EMOTI hamper
In celebration of the all-new collectable LINDT HELLO EMOTI tins, we have a hamper valued at R550 to giveaway to one lucky reader…