Travel & Outdoors
A Bee Friendly Garden with Garden Master
If you have a garden already and would like to start creating a bee-friendly haven, then doing so isn’t as complicated as you may think. Here are a few tips which will assist you in your quest to positively impact the environment:
- Choose plants that attract bees: This is fairly self-explanatory but there are certain plants that are more attractive to bees than others. These plants include the likes of basil, sage, thyme, lavender, watermelons, cucumbers and pumpkin – all of these seeds are available from the Garden Master seeds range.
- Group the same plants together: If you have the space, try to plant at least one square metre of the same type of plant together.
- Pick plants with long blooming cycles: This will keep the bees coming back to your garden.
- Let your plants flower: Leave the flowers on your plants, this will allow the honeybees to get the pollen and nectar they need.
- Fresh water source: Any shallow water source will do; a bird bath, a waterfall, a pool or even newly watered potted plants are good for bees.
- No pesticides or other chemicals: Most chemicals are toxic to bees, so when in doubt, rather leave it out.
- Weeds: Flowering weeds are very important food sources for bees.
Garden Master has a full range of products for all your bee gardening needs which ranges from hose pipes, spades, rakes, pruning sets, pot plants, soil and seeds to name but a few.
Interesting bee facts – reference: Buzzaboutbees.net
- To produce a pound of honey, foraging bees have to fly around a whopping 88,500 kilometers
- That’s a lot of honey bees, working very hard, because each honey bee will only produce around one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its life!
- That’s despite the fact that a foraging honey bee visits up to 100 flowers – per foraging trip
- Honey is the only food made by an insect, and eaten by both the insect and humans
About Garden Master:
Garden Master, a part of Massmart, a South African-based globally competitive regional management group, is the leading gardening brand in South Africa and offers a range of quality products at affordable prices set to meet the needs of garden enthusiasts and easy to use products for beginners. All products come standard with a twelve-month warranty and spare parts are available from the Garden Master service centre (call centre 0861 GMINFO (464636)).