Ballito develops free area app
While a few seconds on a search engine will reveal lots about Ballito, what seems to be lacking is a central hub of information that is more than a business directory but provides ‘insider-info’ on the place and keeps you connected to those driving its activities.
It is this need that has resulted in the development of the Ballito area APP, a collaboration between UrbanPLACES, the marketing arm of Ballito Urban Improvement Precinct (UIP) management company UrbanMGT, and APP development company APP Fab.
“The APP is aimed at anyone from the Ballito local looking for a night out, or a day visitor wanting to know where to go for a family lunch, to an employee looking for the local post office number or a tourist looking for accommodation,” said Cara Reilly of UrbanPLACES.
How To Win
Not only is the FREE Ballito APP a convenient way to find everything you need to know about Ballito when you need it, but if you download now, you stand a chance of winning one of the awesome prizes on offer including: Meal vouchers from Al Pescatore, Hopps and Mozambik; Woolworths and Pick n Pay Vouchers, as well as a Mooiplaas hamper.
Here’s How To Win!
- Download the APP – Scan the QR code or go to your APP store and search Ballito
- Click on the Scratch and Win icon on the home screen
- Choose which voucher you want to win and scratch your screen.
- If you are a winner, follow the instructions to claim your prize or try another voucher to see if you have better luck.
- Terms and conditions apply as lifted under the info icon on each scratch card.
UrbanPLACES and APP Fab believe that community or area APP’s, if built and managed correctly, become the go-to place for unbiased information on an area. “APPs are about making life as simple and convenient as possible, with immediate access to whatever information is required bringing local businesses, property owners, residents, investors and visitors a seamless experience through the very best platforms, “said Reilly.
Comprehensive and user-friendly, the Ballito APP uses bold icons to highlight each section, with content including things like:
- Local knowledge from maps and the history of Ballito to info on the local clinic, surf lessons and marine fishing guidelines and much more, is contained in the Area Info
- A one-touch-call to the 24/7 UIP Hotline Number as well as the option to Report A Fault, by capturing an image and sending an alert an anything from street lights out, to lost pets, directly to the UIP.
- A comprehensive A-Z that lists every business located on Ballito (and within the immediate boundaries) at no charge with a click-to-call phone number for easy connection
- The Eat, Shop, Stay, Services and Property categories carry highlighted features on those businesses who have upgraded their free listing and includes images, web and social media links and a more detail on what they offer.
- A News section that links through the latest news on Ballito as hosted on the UIP website
- An Events section with line-up of activities on Ballito, as hosted on the UIP website, as well as the option of checking out what is happening in the whole area.
- A Contacts button that users with details of a range of important contacts, from the UIP to emergency and municipal contacts.
- Understanding that Ballito is linked to Durban, and is proudly KZN, the APP has a More Durbs section, which using categorized listings gives the user info on everything from Township Tours to Local Markets and everything in between.
- The APP can send push notifications and a related image to all users, perfect for communicating everything from water shut downs to the opening of a new restaurant.
Additional features include a link to a stunning video that captures the essence of Ballito; a link to the iLembe Chamber, and a link to a form for businesses to request a listing or an upgrade.
The APP structure is easily adaptable, integrates to a range of platforms (including the Ballito website and social media pages), and with quick edit abilities, responds to the demands of the area and its stakeholders, with a focus on delivering the best user experience possible.
While all businesses in Ballito (and the immediate surrounds) are listed FREE under the A-Z, and thus gain a level of exposure, the APP allows for paid-for upgraded listings, which are housed in the highlighted Eat, Shop, Stay, Services and Property sections, and give businesses the opportunity to show more about what they offer.
Asked if all the bases were covered, Cara Reilly noted that the team had been working on the APP for some months now but that once in use, they would look at any necessary updates to improve functionality. “From creating the structure of the APP, to loading relevant content, we have tried to be as comprehensive and inclusive as possible, but that is not to say that we haven’t missed anything or anyone, so please if you have a business or service located in, or immediately surrounding Ballito and you are not listed on the APP you must let us know – either on the request listing form on the APP or by emailing email@example.com,” she said.
Get It Magazine (Ballito/Umhlanga) – July 2018